Ibrahim’s Grill and Steak House Ltd has been fined £50,000 by Birmingham Magistrates Court after a case was brought by Birmingham City Council for using wooden plates to serve food.

The restaurant on Warwick Road was first visited by Environmental Health officers in October 2016 after an alleged food poisoning outbreak affecting a party of 14.

A number of issues of concern were found, including a high level reliance being placed on the use of disposable gloves, rather than the washing of hands.

The cleaning of the premises was poor and sanitising chemicals were not being used in accordance with manufacturer instructions.

And wooden plates which were incapable of being cleaned were being used to serve the food.

Officers served improvement notices requiring a remedy to the issues – and on a return visit in December 2016 it was found that whilst food handling had improved, the wooden plates were still being used.

Wooden plates could pose a risk of food poisoning to anyone eating from them.

At Birmingham Magistrates Court on Thursday (04/01) the company entered a guilty plea – and a fine of £50,000 was imposed along with £670 costs and £120 victim surcharge.

Mark Croxford, Head of Environmental Health at Birmingham City Council, said “It is completely unacceptable for businesses to put the health of people eating at their restaurants at risk.

The owners were given sound advice which they chose to ignore. I am pleased magistrates supported our efforts with a large fine and hope advice we give on improving businesses to protect health will not be ignored in future.”