Six pupils and a teacher from Four Dwellings Academy in Quinton have been taken to hospital after a chemical leak during a science lesson this morning (10/05).

Reports suggest a bottle of bromine was accidentally opened during the lesson; the science laboratory was evacuated shortly after.

West Midlands Ambulance Service were dispatched to the scene at around 10:15AM. A spokesperson, said: The six pupils and a teacher developed breathing difficulties after being exposed to the chemical Bromine. The rest of the class were unaffected.

The seven were assessed at the scene by ambulance staff. As a precaution, the teenagers were taken to Birmingham Children’s Hospital and the teacher to Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham – their condition is not believed serious.

The chemical was isolated and there is no risk to anyone else.”