West Midlands Police have arrested a man over a series of machete raids at Greggs shops across Birmingham.
Officers moved in at an address in Sparkbrook this morning (08/08) where they arrested a 40-year-old man on suspicion of robbery.
He’s being questioned in connection with five attacks at the following shops:
• Fox & Goose Shopping Centre, Ward End, on 28th February
• Weoley Castle Road on 21st March
• Alcester Road, Druids Heath on 11th April
• Olton Boulevard East, Acocks Green on 23rd May
• Kingsbury Road, Erdington on 4th July
Detective Constable Laura Halpin, said: “We’ve linked at least five robberies at Greggs shops where an offender has struck at opening time and threatened staff with a machete wrapped in a plastic bag before making off with cash.
“No-one was hurt but clearly these were traumatic incidents for the staff who were faced with an armed man and threatened with violence.
“Our enquiries led us to the home address of our suspect in Sparkbrook and officers moved in at around 8am to make an arrest. As part of our enquiries we have also recovered a machete.”