Highways England has launched its statutory public consultation to gather views on the design of a new £282m junction on the M42 near Birmingham.
Highways England plans to improve traffic flows at an important junction for the millions of people that travel to Birmingham Airport every year and also surrounding venues such as the National Exhibition Centre and Motorcycle Museum.
The project, due to start in 2020, will see the creation of a new 1.5 mile dual carriageway link road – aligned to the west of Bickenhill – between the A45 Clock Interchange and a new junction on the M42, which would be located south of junction 6 located and north of Solihull Road.
Highways England is inviting everyone to have their say on the details at a statutory public consultation running until 19th February 2018.
Highways England senior project manager, Jonathan Pizzey, said: “We want to make sure that local people and other stakeholders have a say in the project.
“We’ll be taking all comments into consideration as we complete the design, prior to making a planning application later in 2018. All comments will be considered, and we will provide a report identifying how they have influenced the design.”
As part of the scheme there are also plans to improve traffic flow at the M42 junction 6 roundabout – a well-known bottleneck – by providing dedicated left turn links between the M42 and A45 at the NEC and the north east side of the roundabout. This will benefit motorists by reducing congestion and improving journey times around the junction, as well as access to and from the motorway.
Highways England is continuing to work closely with all the stakeholders through the detailed design and statutory process to ensure their views and ideas are incorporated into the design where appropriate.
- Tuesday 9th January 2018 – The Arden Hotel, Coventry Road, Bickenhill, B92 0EH, 1pm – 8pm.
- Thursday 11th January 2018 – St Peters Church Hall, Church Lane, Bickenhill, B92 0DN, 12pm – 8pm
- Saturday 13th January 2018 – Catherine de Barnes Village Hall, Hampton Lane, B91 2TJ, 10am – 4pm
- Wednesday 17th January 2018 – Marston Green Parish Hall, 38 Elmdon Road, Marston Green, B37 7BT, 12pm – 8pm
- Friday 19th January 2018 – Fentham Hall, Marsh Lane, Hampton-in-Arden, B92 0AH, 12pm – 8pm
- Saturday 27th January 2018 – Warwick Gaelic Athletic Association, The Clubhouse, Catherine de Barnes lane, Bickenhill, B92 0DB, 10am – 4pm
- Wednesday 31st January 2018 – The Core, Touchwood, Homer Road, Solihull, B91 3RG, 10am – 5:45pm, *A selection of presentation boards will remain at The Core until 19 February 2018*
The consultation brochure will be made available at all consultation events and on our website and will include a printed questionnaire, which can also be completed electronically on our website at www.highways.gov.uk/m42-j6.
Construction is expected to start in 2020 and completion is due in 2023; subject to DCO approval in 2019.