The fifth Birmingham Awards took place on Saturday 9th November at the Birmingham Library, hosted by Heart FM’s Ed James. The night featured live entertainment from Aston Performing Arts Academy and raised money for the awards charity partner LoveBrum.
The awards aim to recognise the best of industries and individuals in the city. Among this year’s winners where Evolve Birmingham – Social Enterprise of the Year, Anna Assinder – Young Achiever of the Year, Touchwood Shopping Centre – Best Shopping Experience and Chouchoute Chocolaterie – Independent Retailer of the Year.
The Lifetime Achievement went to the UK’s first lady of soul Jaki Graham. Jaki’s daughter and manager Natalie Graham collected the award on her behalf while the Brummie singer/songwriter is on a UK tour.
This year’s Brummie of the Year award went to the chair of Town Hall Symphony Hall – Anita Bhalla OBE, recognising her many achievements for the benefit of the city including establishing the BBC Asian Network in the West Midlands, her work on the Social Inclusion Commission and Anita’s strong commitment to public service.
Event organisers Ifraz Ahmed & Anita Chumber were excited to see so many new organisations and individuals nominating and attending this year’s awards. Anita said: “We created the awards because we believe that a city of ambitious, vibrant & inspirational people & organisations needs a platform to highlight & celebrate the incredible work being done.”
This year’s big winners:
- Arts & Culture Award – Midlands Arts Centre (MAC)
- Social Enterprise of the Year – Evolve Birmingham
- Contribution to Education Award – Sarah Mulin (Priory School)
- Young Achiever of the Year – Anna Assinder
- Bar or Pub of the Year – Hotel du Vin Birmingham
- Business of the Year – Unique IQ ltd
- Sporting Initiative of the Year – WBC Women’s Boxing Club
- Community Initiative or Charity of the Year – Birmingham St Marys Hospice
- Restaurant of the Year – Chung Ying Cantonese
- Small Business of the Year – Trimz and Tantrumz Children’s Salon
- Professional of the Year – Stephanie Taylor
- Venue of the Year – Aston Villa Holte Suite
- Business Man of the Year – Stacey Barnfield
- Business Woman of the Year – Natalie Taylor-Herrick
- Judges Award – Hailey Hanson
- Networker of the Year – Adam Andrew Hayes
- Excellence in Media – Balvinder Sidhu (ITV)
- Best Shopping Experience – Touchwood
- Independent Retailer of the Year – Chouchoute Chocolaterie
- Best Use of Social Media or Marketing – Birmingham Hippodrome
- Brummie of the Year – Anita Bhalla OBE
- Lifetime Achievement – Jaki Graham