Birmingham City Council is making more changes to its contingency plan drawn up for bin collections in Birmingham as industrial action continues and strike action is to begin.
The council said it has been closely monitoring the impact the action is having and to ensure reliability of service until the dispute is resolved they will be temporarily introducing a fortnightly starting on Monday 18 February.
Under the revised plan, residents should present both of their recycling and refuse bins on the day their recycling bin is normally collected. Anyone unsure of their collection day can find out when this is by visiting the council’s “check your collection day” page.
The bins should be presented in the usual way (recycling in the recycling bin, household rubbish in the general waste bin).
As part of the contingency, crews will dispose of the content of the bins in the most effective way possible. This may mean the refuse waste and the recycling are mixed and put into the back of the same collection vehicle, but only where a separate service is not possible.
The waste will be collected any time from 6am to 10pm, seven days a week, so residents are advised to leave their bins out if they not picked up by the usual collection time.
During the dispute, a reasonable amount of “side waste” (2-3 sacks) can be presented alongside bins when put out for their temporary fortnightly collection.
The Household Recycling Centres (HRCs) offer an alternative option for citizens to dispose of all types of waste including recycling. Before any visit, residents can check opening hours and view the queues at their nearest HRC at www.birmingham.gov.uk/hrc.
Cllr Brett O’Reilly, Cabinet Member for Clean Streets, Waste and Recycling at Birmingham City Council, said: “We are determined to resolve the dispute and have had extensive talks with Trades Union colleagues via ACAS. But until we reach a resolution we must do everything we can to minimise the disruption to the people who live in Birmingham.
“Based on the effect of the dispute so far, we have reviewed our original contingency and are now putting forward a plan that fits with the staffing resource we have available.
“I know the fact that we may not be able to recycle as much as we did before will be of concern to residents who are keen to do their bit for the environment, but our top priority has to be that of citizens overall – clean streets for Birmingham.
“We thank those who are committed to throwing away as little waste as possible and look forward to ending this dispute so they can resume their recycling.
“I would like to apologise for any missed collections that anyone has experienced so far. We are striving to deliver the first-class refuse service the citizens of Birmingham deserve.”
From Tuesday 19 February refuse workers will begin a programme of strike action. The two days a week of strike action is in addition to the overtime ban and the work to rule which that started on Saturday 29 December 2018.