As January rolls on and Blue Monday looms, you might already be searching for motivation to stay on that fitness track. Blue Monday is said to be the most depressing day of the year and the day when the majority of people start to give up on their new year’s resolution.
But you don’t have to fall for that and can wave goodbye to Blue Mondays once and for all, here are some tips to help keep you motivated this month and all year long:
- To help keep you motivated through the often dark and dismal days of January, and to make 2020 your best year yet, why not set a goal and sign up to the Great Birmingham 10k, taking place on Sunday 31 May?
- Feel your best on gloomy days with an endorphins release. The cold January weather and dark nights can make it hard to want to exercise but don’t wait – how you start your week will set the tone for the rest of the week so put your running shoes on and remain focused on your goals.
- Follow a training plan to stay accountable. A training plan will help you to stay on track by breaking down your training into small and achievable goals and Great Run have a plan to suit all abilities, whether you want to run, jog or walk the Great Birmingham 10k.
- Get out for some fresh air while saving money. Most of us are recovering from an expensive holiday period, so social plans may be a little light this month. If you’d still like to see a friend or get out with a group, make a plan to meet for a run. Register for a timed weekly, free Great Run Local group at Ley Hill or Edgbaston covering routes over 2k and 5k or check out the more social side with Great Runners Birmingham, meeting at Brewdog every Tuesday.
- Feel proud of your efforts – when others have given up and you’re carrying on focused on your 2020 goal, you will feel proud that you stuck to your resolution, overcame doubt and got those training sessions in. Despite how tricky it can sometimes be to get your running shoes on there are very few days when anyone says they regret doing that run, as running for a short time is certainly better than staying home on the sofa. Your health and wellbeing are going to continue to be of top importance in 2020 due to how you started your year, and you deserve to feel proud of yourself.
Sign up for the Great Birmingham 10k here and get a head start with the 16-week training plan. Further training plans available at www.greatrun.org/training/training-plans
To sign up for the Great Birmingham 10k click here