Tesco in Hodge Hill was evacuated on Sunday afternoon (05/03), after a man, who is suspected of taking a drug overdose, suffered cardiac arrest in the baby changing room.

Emergency services were called to the store on Coleshill Road, at around 4.10PM, to reports of a man in cardiac arrest.

A spokesperson from West Midlands Ambulance Service, said: “Two ambulances were sent to the scene. Upon arrival, Tesco staff were administering CPR to the man. Ambulance staff took over resuscitation efforts before conveying the man to Heartlands Hospital.”

A spokesperson from West Midlands Police, added: “The man believed to be in his 30s was taken to hospital but despite the best efforts of medical staff sadly died.

The death of the man is not being treated as suspicious and has been referred to the coroner.”

The store was evacuated whilst police, paramedics and staff dealt with the incident.

An employee at the store, said: “The man went into the baby changing bathroom and overdosed – we found lots of syringes on the floor. The store was evacuated as we didn’t want people to see paramedics and staff dealing with him.”


For friendly, confidential advice on drugs, visit www.talktofrank.com/