Yardley man jailed for attacking care home resident

A man from Yardley has been jailed for 12 years for an unprovoked attack on a dementia sufferer who died six months later.

David Debney entered a care home in Castle Vale in the early hours of Saturday 24 June 2017 and assaulted Denise Crowton who required 24-hour care in her room.

Debney struck the 60-year-old with a lamp in her ground floor room in an attack that left her with horrific facial injuries.

The 24-year-old intruder struck sometime just before 3am and just after Denise had been checked and deemed fit and well by the care home staff.

Debney then went on to threaten and attempt to assault three staff members, who eventually managed to get him out of the care home. It was after this confrontation that staff made the shocking discovery of Denise’s injuries in her room.

Debney was arrested the same morning inside Castle Vale Football Stadium. He had climbed a 16ft high fence and entered the stadium as a trespasser, falling from the fence and injuring himself in the process. This rendered him unable to escape and he was discovered by the groundsman.

Debney pleaded guilty to three counts of assault on the staff members but was last week on trial for wounding, where he was found guilty by a jury.

Denise Crowton sadly passed away six months after the attack but no causal link was found between the assault and her death. Her daughter has today released pictures of her mother’s injuries as she lay in hospital in 2017 but we’ve deemed the picture too graphic to share on Birmingham Updates.

Inspector Richard Marsh, from Force CID, said: “This was a truly sickening attack on a vulnerable woman who was unable to walk or communicate.

“Denise was truly a helpless woman who was of no threat to anyone and especially not to Debney, a stranger, who broke into her room and subjected her to such a frenzied attack.

“Denise sadly passed away of natural causes, but I am glad the man who made her last days even more intolerable is now behind bars.”

Debney was jailed at Birmingham Crown Court on Friday (31/05).