Vue Cinemas, which operates the cinema at Star City, and Birmingham City Council have launched a joint investigation after a man sadly died following an incident in a gold class screening room.

Emergency services were called to the scene on Friday 9th March after the man suffered head injuries and went into cardiac arrest.

It’s believed he dropped his phone in between the seats and when he went to retrieve it the electric seat’s footrest squashed his head and he went into cardiac arrest.

A spokesperson from West Midlands Ambulance Service, said: “Crews arrived on scene to find a man in cardiac arrest with bystanders having already commenced CPR.

“Ambulance staff took over and administered advanced life support, successfully managing to restart the man’s heart.

“He was then transported to Heartlands Hospital for further treatment.”

A spokesperson from Vue Cinemas, said: “Following an incident which took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening.

“We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday 16 March.

“A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance.”

A spokesperson from Environmental Health at Birmingham City Council, added: “The City Council’s Environmental Health team were notified of this incident and a Health and Safety investigation has begun.”